Wednesday, September 29, 2010

WiFi at the Millenium Knickerbocker Hotel

Monday evening, I drove into to Chicago. On Tuesday, I attended the Great Place to Work Institute's Best Practices Forum. The seminar was pretty interesting, with a good deal of information on what other companies do to create great working environments. That's not what I want to write about, however.

After I checked into the hotel, I tried accessing the internet. I had paid for a wireless connection, but I couldn't for the life of me connect. I made sure I followed all the written directions, then I called the front desk to ask if there was a trick I was missing. The front desk clerk asked me to hold on, and the next thing I knew I was talking to a tech support rep somewhere else in the country. They tracked the problem down to non-functioning routers, but were unable to fix the issue.

The next morning as I was reviewing my bill, I noticed they had deleted the charge for the wireless, but they added a charge for a long distance phone call. Apparently when the front desk clerk transferred me - without asking me first - she added the charge to my account.

Unbelievable. They couldn't provide me with the service for which I paid, I ask for help, and they charge me for the help.

Another example of less-than-stellar customer service.

After a quick trip to the front desk, I had the additional charge removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment