Thursday, September 23, 2010

How Is Math Taught Today?

On my way home from a seminar today, I stopped into the grocery store to pick up supplies for stir-fry. The elderly lady in front of me in the checkout line bought a container of cookies that totaled $3.03 with tax. She handed the young cashier a $20 bill and three pennies.

The cashier gave her $17.97 in change.

The lady tried to give the coins back, but the cashier couldn't understand. The supervisor standing at the end of the counter helping to bag the groceries didn't understand either. The lady gave up and took the extra money.

I admit, I thought to myself when I saw the money being exchanged that I rarely see cash as a form of payment anymore. Is this an indication of how little cash is used now? Did the cashier not know what to do because she rarely handles cash? Even so, this was an easy math problem........

2 comments:

  1. I often wonder how many folks have the problem I do - inability to do simple math on their feet. Any time I'm working a register, I feel rushed (even if the customer isn't) to help them make their purchase and get the heck out out. Even on my most confident days I can't seem to do simple math on the fly; I have to slow down, think it through, and double check myself (and hope the customer doesn't get impatient).

    This mistake, however, is insane, even in my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ren - If it had just been the cashier, I wouldn't have been as amazed. The fact that the supervisor didn't get it either..... that's the part that boggled my mind!

    ReplyDelete