Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

Thanks to our long-time friend, Tom Farley, the meaning of this holiday has been weighing heavily on my mind for the last few days. He posted a statement on Facebook:   

"Here's a simple act of patriotism for this weekend: Don't call it 'the Fourth of July.' Call it 'Independence Day.' It's not just another day on the calendar, right?"

Yes, this is right. 

I'm thankful I'm an American citizen. I have a list of basic rights by simply being born in this country. Across the globe many people, especially women and children, cannot claim these same rights. All I did to claim these rights is to be lucky enough to be born in the correct geographic location. Millions of people have died to keep our country free and allow all born here to claim these basic human rights.

The least I can do is honor the holiday with its correct name, Independence Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment