Friday, April 7, 2017

Adjustments, Readjustments, Plodding On

When I started this blog, I had my dream job. My husband and I traveled quite a bit. We were always busy doing something, going somewhere. I was ambitious. I wanted to make a difference. Looking back, the title of the blog didn't fit.

The past few years have brought big changes to my life. If you followed my blog because I was in HR, you might want to disconnect now. If I blog after today, it will likely be about my dogs, health care, or an everyday something.

Cancer came first. It still lingers in the back recesses of my brain, day-by-day. I made it past the 5-year "clear sailing" mark, and I'm able to purchase life insurance again, but it's still a scary monster lurking in the shadows.

We lost my mother-in-law a year later. I miss her quiet, sensible, calming influence.

The month after she passed, the company my husband and I worked for was acquired by a competitor.  I spent the next year stressed and sick, until I finally quit.  In the interim, I've done some part-time HR work, and I started a soap and candle company.  It felt good, building something.

After the 15 or so years of health issues that led to the cancer diagnosis, I thought I was finally going to feel well. It didn't last long. Just 18 months ago, I started struggling with fatigue, pain and swelling in my hands, feet, knees and shoulders. It traveled, and waxed and waned. After three months of dr visits and lab tests, I finally got confirmation on what I feared. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I will deal with this chronic, debilitating, progressive horror for the rest of my life.

My life is much more compact now. I have days I can barely move. I've had days I couldn't hold a hairbrush or a toothbrush, and needed help to dress. I've always been a bit needle-phobic. Now I inject myself with medicine every week, and take a handful of drugs each day.

Today is a good day. I have a great husband and cute pets. I can move. I can type. I'm at my shop, happy the sun is shining.

Mundane = check. Real = check.







No comments:

Post a Comment