Monday, May 23, 2011

A Winding Path

I have a new post on Women of HR today: Leap (of faith). Although I knew what story I wanted to tell, it was a struggle to actually write it. I found it took much longer to do than any of the other posts I've done so far.

Part of the reason it was difficult is that my career path has been different than what is typically expected. I took a detour or two. Taking those detours may have hurt me in the eyes of some people. My resume doesn't show the typical progression an HR director normally has.

Those detours made a difference, though. I learned things I never could have if I had stayed on the straight and narrow career path. I met some wonderful, creative, giving, driven people who are making differences in their spheres of influence. I'm certain my exposure to them shaped me in a positive way that could not have happened if I hadn't varied my course.  I wouldn't be where I am if I hadn't veered off my initial route. In the words of Smash Mouth's ubiquitous song, All Star:

So much to do so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow 

Take some back streets. Explore the side streets. Take the interstate if you have to, but try to remember what you may be passing by.

No comments:

Post a Comment